I work predominately in oil on canvas or board and also watercolour on paper. My ideas come from what I view around me currently it is the interesting shadow effects and detail on tree bark.
I have different painting styles sometimes I work quite loosely trying to capture quickly a shadow that has appeared across a wall or a cloud moving across the sky. Often scrubbing back the painting and working over dry areas with glazes to build up the depth. I also work quite tightly painting detail against a plain background for a contrast,
I also enjoy painting still – life mainly using natural objects and studying the way the light changes across the object throughout the day. Light and shadows are very inspirational to me. I try to capture the pattern a shadow has made across a wall or object, marking it down quickly and spontaneously.
Gwen John’s quiet figurative paintings are an influence in my work. Her use of gentle subtle colours are a source of inspiration to me.
I have just completed a painting of my daughter which I am entering in the BP National Portrait competition and Gwen John’s colour palette was in my mind when I painted it.
Graduated from Sunderland Polytechnic in 1990 with a 2:1 in Fine Art (Painting.)
• 1990-1993 Selected twice by Bonhams Knightsbridge, London for New Contemporaries Art Auctions.
• 1990- 1998 Represented By Vera Grodzinski -Modern and Contemporary Art London.
• 1993 King Street Gallery London.
• 1994 Stables Gallery London (solo show.)
• 1997 Blackheath Gallery London.
• 1997 Design and Innovation Centre Leeds.
• 1998 Brahms Gallery Leeds.
• 2011-Currently represented by Walker Galleries, Harrogate.
• 2012 Otley Courthouse (solo show.)
• 2012-13 Art In The Mill Knaresborough.
Second stage finalist 2012 John Moores Painting Prize.
A Selection of my Paintings can be viewed on the Walker Gallery Website at: www.walkergalleries.co.uk
I have had numerous private commissions notably for 44 The Calls Hotel and Restaurant in Leeds.